Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Week #4 RSS part deux

Using the search settings for feeds on bloglines was easy and the drop down window. The only part I have a gripe about is after selecting a particular feed, I am not sent back to the previous page but to the MY Feed page. I use the backspace key to get back to the previous page. So far I have not found an easier way to return to my last page. Anyone know a better way?

There is so much to choose from and I decided to select for now reliable feeds from sources I am familiar with and know will have useful information for librarians: Library Journal news & features, LJ book reviews, RUSA blog, School Library Journal gadgets news (since I am working in YP for now),LII, and Library jobs listings. I may add Office of Intellectual Freedom or the IF from ALA because it is informative to know the challenges other libraries are facing and how they deal with these issues. There is so much at your fingertips and you can spend a lot of time deciding what to select. Unfortunately, there was no RSS subscription to a complete journal like I discovered with Library Journal and School Library Journal. You have to select by different by categories within the journal.

I tried out the 200 recommended feeds by Bloglines, used keywords for various library-related topics and many blogs are from libraries or personal blogs by librarians. Discovered the advanced search with parameters so you can search for particular blogs.

News-wise I selected BBC world news because they will give a more balanced view of what the US is doing in Iraq. JMHO. CNN because I should get an American POV too.

ttfn!

No comments: